Saturday 28 November 2015

Male v female?




When I get enquiries about puppies about 80% of those enquiring, specifically want a female pup. When I question this the vast majority have no actual reason for their choice, some feel a bitch is easier and some are under the impression that they are more affectionate than male pups. There are of course those who absolutely need a pup of a certain sex due to personal circumstances, ie an existing dog that wouldn't accept a puppy of a certain sex.

Whilst I try to dispel some of the myths about male dogs, such as inappropriate lifting of the leg (I have 3 entire males, none of whom would ever dream of lifting their leg indoors, even when the girls are in season), or dog to dog aggression, again I refer to my 3 boys who live in harmony with each other and are walked amongst strange dogs on a daily basis without issue,  I am aware that some people will think I am telling them this in order to place my male pups regardless of behaviour traits, nothing could be further from the truth as I take great care in placing my pups and won't hesitate to turn down applications from those who I feel are not suitable for my pups. I have recently stumbled across an article that pretty much says what I feel. So if you thought you were set on a female pup, but are not really sure why, it may be worth having a little read, and maybe a rethink :-) Just click the link below.

The difference between male and female dogs

A few pics from our beach walk last week. This was Audreys 1st walk since having the pups (beach is a pretty clean place to visit) and I think it's safe to say she was pleased to be out









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is fascinating, I have decided my next pup will be a boy, I have based this decision on asking every one I know who has had dogs and bitches, which they prefer ( a variety of different breeds) and almost without exception they have all said dogs so after only ever having had bitches I am going to take the plunge and get a dog next.o would be interested to hear over people's views on this .....