Sunday 10 September 2017

Bloat

I'm sharing this as bloat doesn't always present in an obvious pattern, in fact had Dollar not already bloated on previous occasions I doubt I would have picked up on todays episode quite as quickly. Dollar had her breakfast as normal, we waited an hour or so before loading into the van for our walk. Arrived for the walk and all dogs were very pleased to be out and were behaving as I would expect and all toileted normally, including Dollar. About 25 mins into our walk Dollar suddenly dropped behind me, she started pacing as opposed to her normal poodley trot and had an anxious look about her. I immediately felt her stomach, it didn't look any bigger than normal but was very tense, I checked her gums and they were looking redder than normal. We carried on a little way to see if it was a cramp or something that she would walk off, but nothing changed so we cut the walk short and came straight home. Arriving home I gave her a slippery elm tablet and some windeeze tablets whilst I called the emergency vets. Whilst waiting for the vet to return my call Dollar stood pushing into me, she stood with her chest dropped and her hindquarters raised, she was panting and trembling, however when Graham came downstairs to drive us to the vets Dollar got very excited and started jumping around as though nothing was wrong and Graham doubted my decision to take her to the vets. On arrival at the surgery she was xrayed, which showed she was indeed well on the way to bloating. Again she was stomach tubed (fully conscious, omg this dog is just so good to work with!) and a load of gas was released, her relief was obvious and instant. We have now been home just over an hour and she appears to be settled and comfortable although her gums are still not normal, we will obviously be on high alert for the next 24hrs or so. Dollar is and has always been raw fed, she is fed small meals 2 x daily, is never exercised within an hour of feeding and after her serious episode of bloating in January this year she has had a gastro pexy.

No comments: