Monday 21 July 2014

R.I.P Betty 19.07.2005 - 21.07.2014

I don't know where to start in summing up Betty, she truely was a dog in a million. I bought her Mum, Daphne, bred by Anita Bax, because I loved the sound temperament  in her line. Daphne was a bold dog who had no idea she was small, never yappy or nervy she lived life to the full. Betty was one of two pups in Daphne' last litter, I knew I had to keep one of these little crackers, but had slight reservations because they were both really tiny pups, I kept Betty purely because she was the bigger of the two and I knew I would want her to have puppies at some point.
Betty was, if anything, bolder than her Mum, she was the happiest girl you could wish for, always delighted to meet everyone and was adept at sneaking on any available lap, pretty much unnoticed. She remained tiny, maturing at approx 9" and most of her adult life she weighed just 1.65kg. Despite her size she had true determination and insisted she was never left out of anything, she happily accompanied me on treks across Dartmoor and always drew a crowd in the pub afterwards. At home she kept the big dogs in check, using them as a very comfortable bed on a cold evening or humping their heads when she was in season!!
Last year she started to have problems with her knees, they became very unstable and would give way on her with no warning, she never complained and it didn't stop her wanting to do things. It did however reach a stage that she just couldn't physically undertake a proper walk so towards the end of last year her walks were substituted with outings, a car ride, a trip to the pub, a picnic on Dartmoor etc etc. About a month ago she suddenly became very lame on her right front leg, she was put on pain killers but these did nothing to alleviate her discomfort, different pain killers were tried, still she remained very lame. Xray's revealed significant arthritis in both her shoulder and elbow, and also showed the start of arthritis on the joints of her left front leg. A last attempt at controlling the pain was made with huge doses of pain killers to no effect. She still remained bright and cheerful, she was still excited to go out in the car, she still was determined to spend every evening curled up on Grahams lap (she adored Graham, a feeling that was mutual) but when she span round in excitement her knees would give way and we had to help her back up and all the time her front leg was being held out, a decision had to be made.
Today was that day, both Graham and I are so upset, I now understand why people say they won't get another dog of the same breed, I will never find such a sound little dog as she was and I will never get another toy poodle, she will never be replaced. She left us with a degree of dignity, it would have been so easy to look at her waggy tail and think she was fine, but she wasn't, and her bravery did not make her enduring a life of pain the right thing to do. R.I.P little lady.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a loving tribute. We will all miss her and you and Graham and Em are in our thoughts. Time heals, hold tight to the memories and know that NO ONE could have loved her better... xoxo.. Russ and Heather

Jane Rowden said...

I have read through this again and it doesn't begin to convey what a dog she was, what a fantastic Mum she was to all her pups (and anyone elses that she could get her paws on!) but for now I just can't find the words

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear this Jane. {{big hugs}}

Unknown said...

So sad to hear of the passing of little Betty. I am writing this message with tears in my eyes. Me and Graham often say how adorable Betty was when we met her and how much Fizzy is like her. She had such a lovely temperament and kind nature, she was just adorable. You gave her a wonderful life and she will be surely missed by all. The picture of Betty looks so much like Fizzy, just beautiful.

Sending our love to you all at this sad time. Lots of love Rina Graham,Fizzy, Jasper and Duggy xxx

www.dorissdaughter.com said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss Jane. Sounds like Betty was a remarkable little dog who has left you with many treasured memories x

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear that. I have to say thank you so much for let me met you and little Betty about 5 years you. You gave me a such adorable little girl -miluki.one of betty's daughter. Because of her, my life is full of love and happiness. Thank you Betty , I believe you will be the happiest little angel in the Heaven. OMG, I just can't stop my tears!

Pam said...

Hi Jane, I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of Betty. You had the most amazing toy poodles! - Pam & Sophie