Sunday 30 November 2014

Chicken Run

Yesterday my friend and I took a drive over to Okehampton to take on some ex caged hens, these birds were part of a group of 3000 'spent' hens that have come from an intensive farming unit. I have kept chickens for quite a few years now and am very fond of my birds, so it came as quite a shock to see the sad state these birds are in. They are about 18 months old and should be in full health but these birds are almost bald due to the stress plucking that goes on, their combs are pale and floppy, their nails are overgrown as they have spent their lives in a cage with a wire floor and the space allocated to each bird is the area of an A4 piece of paper, they have never experienced natural light, they have never enjoyed a dust bath and have only ever eaten a commercial diet :-(. Now I am not daft, or overly sentimental, I understand that regardless of the conditions they are kept in, all laying birds have a limited useful life, and slaughter for most of these birds is the only practical solution, and in fact I don't have a problem with this, but I do have a problem with the way these birds are kept prior to them being shipped. I don't want to preach but please think about these pictures next time you go to purchase cheap eggs.




These two girls, Babs and Bunty, will have to be housed separately from my garden girls while they recover from their previous existence and learn how to be normal chickens.

Margo's kittens, Thelma and Louise, are fat lumps, Margo is proving to be a wonderful mum :-) Both kittens have homes waiting for them.
Mustache man and Bushy tail are growing well, they had their 1st vaccinations yesterday.

I know that there are a few people who are anxious to hear news of Spirit and Audrey with regard to them coming into season, unfortunately they are still keeping us waiting, can't be much longer!! I promise I will update you as soon as there is any news.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

It may be a long term process that you should fulfill as pet owners and therefore before committing to this job you need to make sure that you are financially ready to supply whatever your pet needs. All the needs of rabbits include food, dishes & feeders, beddings and litters, hay & grass, cages and Rabbit Hutches, harnesses & carriers and so forth. Unlike many other pets; Rabbits are way calmer, affectionate and for sure lovable.

Chicken Runs

Unknown said...

With Egg Shell Online, chickens that you keep as pets or resources can now be kept safe using the alluring chicken runs available at cost-effective prices.