Friday 27 July 2018

Dime


This month saw a very tough decision for me so I think it only right I share what led up to it and the end result. A couple of years ago Dime disappeared off into the woods of our (then) regular walk. I wasn't overly concerned as she often went squirrel hunting, would be gone 5 mins and then come back with a big grin on her face, puffing and panting, but this time she was gone for about 40 mins and by this time I was feeling quite concerned, she eventually showed up, very pleased with herself and absolutely shattered, I made the assumption that she must have come across a deer and had chased that.  We finished our walk and went home where I found a message from a farmer telling me that what she had actually been doing was worrying his sheep. I was mortified, having previously owned a small flock of sheep I am all too aware of the implications of this. Fortunately no damage had been done, I apologised profusely to the farmer and explained that I had been unaware that he had started to graze his sheep there and promised him I would not walk her there again, and I didn't.

Due to this incident I became super aware of Dime around livestock, her walks on Dartmoor were discontinued as were walks anywhere that I knew a sheep encounter was likely (living where we do this is extremely restrictive as sheep can crop up almost anywhere and many are free ranging in the local area, not in securely fenced fields). About 18 months later we went for a walk in a local estate where I knew there was just one, well fenced, field containing sheep. Dime was kept on a lead until we were about a mile from the field, she was then allowed to free run and enjoy the rest of the walk, however as we started back towards the van (it was a circular route) Dime obviously caught a scent of the sheep and travelled about half a mile, over a bridge, up a very steep hill and through some woods before finding a weak spot in the fencing and went sheep chasing again. Once again I was fortunate in that she was stopped before any damage was done, but it was at this point that I decided I could not take the risk of her doing this again (bear in mind this is a dog with an incredible recall in almost any other situation). This left me with 3 options, have her put to sleep (not viable option in my mind), keep her on a lead at all times (she is my fittest most athletic dog who lives to run) which would mean a miserable existence, or rehome her.

At this point I was contacted by a lovely lady, who had previously had two of my poodles, offering Dime a home in Surrey, a comparatively sheep free county. So after much discussion, explaining exactly how committed Dimes sheep chasing is, Dime left for her new life in Walton on Thames a couple of weeks ago.

I haven't posted earlier as I wanted to know that the arrangement was going to work, and although it is still early days all the signs are good that Dime is adapting well to her new life with a one to one relationship with her new owner and is enjoying being able to free run without the risk of her damaging sheep or getting shot for doing it.

Yesterday she met up with two of her puppies from 2 years ago and her half sister, it's really odd to see her in a picture that I wasn't there to take, but she is looking fit well and happy and I hope that Sharon or Tara (not sure who took the pic) won't mind me sharing it.
 

5 comments:

fortiscordegundogs said...

Excellent blog, good to see someone is posting quality information. Thanks for sharing this useful information. Keep up the good work.
Gundog Puppy Training

Jane Rowden said...

Thank you for your comment, much appreciated.

Unknown said...

Tough decision I'm sure ...... I will miss seeing her in your photos but I am relieved she'll continue in safe freedom.

Anonymous said...

That last "tough decision" comment was from me Jane (deb hagarty) .... don't know why it listed as unkinown

Jane Rowden said...

Thank you Deb, it was a tough decision and I miss her, but I am happy it was the right decision.