Thursday 2 April 2009

Why?

Just a little rant really. Why are people paying silly money for crossbreeds? I have spoken to several people who own these dogs recently and the only reason I have been able to establish is they want a dog that doesn't shed, is intelligent but doesn't have the image of the show poodle. It seems to me that most of these crosses have been bred to give a puppy with a coat that won't shed. A lady that I spoke to has a labradoodle F1b(3/4 poodle), to me it looks like a poor quality poodle, it requires the same coat care, grooming, bathing, clipping as a poodle the only difference being that it sheds hair! The reason she paid nearly £1000 last year was because her husband didn't want a 'poofy' poodle. She is a very nice lady and the dog is a nice dog but I feel that this reason for purchasing a poodle cross is quite simply down to ignorance about the poodle and failing to do your homework on these crosses. Also I think people should bear in mind that these crosses are not likely to come from the best examples of the parent breeds as most breeders of top quality stock are very protective of their chosen breed, carry out the relevant health tests and don't want their dogs used on different breeds. Many of these crosses will shed, but unfortuntly this is often not apparent until the dog is over 1 year old and by then it is a loved member of your family, so what do you do if a member of your family develops an allergy once it sheds? A poodle will not shed. Poodles are very intelligent. They come in sizes from 8" to over 24". They can be kept in a short practiacl clip( no poms). Now I realise they are not for everyone, and that some crosses are bred with a purpose in mind, ie my best friend Rosie has several poodle/collie crosses that are fantastic working dogs competing in obedience and agility and also are very cute to look and have appeared on TV frequently, but I would ask that anyone considering a poodle cross does their homework and doesn't write of a pedigree poodle because of a perceived image.

Rant over, I feel better for that.

Next post will be back to my fantastic, health tested parents, non shedding, intelligent, loving pedigree poodle puppies. Hopefully with some video.