Thursday 30 September 2010

A very big ask

This is a very difficult post for me to write, the time has come to start to look for a permenant home for Frankie. She needs a home where someone will have plenty of time for her, coupled with a good level of experience in bringing on puppies, ideally they will have 1 or 2 sensible dogs to give her some canine company and the icing on the cake would be to find someone who has the money to have her eyes operated on in the next couple of months, which will restore her sight, something that is totally out of reach for me at the moment as through no fault of his own Graham has been out of work for a few months.

I had hoped to be able to keep her myself for a bit lomger, but my problem is, the longer she stays the more I am falling for her and I am finding the thought of letting her go is getting harder and harder but I still believe she would do better in a home with less dogs.

She is a beautiful, happy girl who in many ways reminds me of Audrey. Her tail wags all the time and she smiles! She has a good recall, she knows sit and down although wait and stay are proving to be a bit harder for her. She walks on the lead in a confident manner and is not bothered by heavy traffic. She doesn't spook at things when we are out although she is quiet when we meet strangers, she is happy off the lead and enjoys walks. She will need to be groomed by a patient yet competent groomer as she does not like the clippers on her face.

7 comments:

Hooch n Troops said...

I hope you find a very special home for Frankie...she definately deserves it...if i hear of anyone looking ill let you know...

I also quite understand what its like not working as i have been 'officially' unemployed for over 2yrs!! Life goes on and you go with it...

p.s. i went to play with 'Ramsey' yesterday and he is still as mental and funny as ever (your ginger and white kitten)

Jane Rowden said...

Thank you, and glad to know that Ramsey is doing well.

Jane

Pam said...

I will ask around at Sophie's puppy class tonight. Perhaps a few of us could try to organise some fund raising efforts. If you/we come up with a flyer to show some dog-friendly pubs, they might be willing to host a musical event.

I realise £3000 is alot of dosh, but there was a fairly successful fundraising effort for medical treatment for a labrador recently. People really rally around dogs around here.

BTW, Sophie is coming along very well. She recently had her first trip to the beauty parlour and looks lovely. She behaved beautifully when we took her to the pub over the weekend.

- Pam

mary e. said...

If Rafiki was older I'd gladly take Frankie- she's such a sweet pup and deserves every chance- Rafiki is coming along very well but still needs lots of 1 to 1 time so I'd be hard-pressed to do them both justice - on the other hand I am retiring in 3wks so maybe... put me at the bottom of the list for her - if no-one better crops up I'll see what I can do.

Jane Rowden said...

Where are the photos Pam? :-)

Thank you all for your thoughts, I did look at the fund raising route but as yet haven't been able to get any real interest, I am starting to wonder if she is gaining some vision (she is growing, maybe the cataracts aren't?don't know if it works like that). At the moment she will be staying with me and she has her next eye appt in November.

Mary, enjoy Rafiki and your retiremnt - hope all the practice pays off!! Frankie will be fine with me, I had just hoped to find her a more 1 to 1 home.

Villemy said...

Good luck! I hope you find a nice home...

Villemy said...

A fund rising isn`t a bad idea. You should try it on facebook... We can make a group for Frankie and invite all our friends (If you use facebook)-
All you need is an account to put money into and the story, and some pictures. Pictures and videos are essential... :)