Saturday 20 August 2011

Do I or don't I?

Nearly 3 months late but Dollar has now come in season. Whilst I am relieved that she has obliged with a season I am now having to think about the timing. If she is mated in the next week or two they will be ready to go to their new homes around Christmas time and the last thing I want is to have people buying a "Christmas Puppy" on impulse. Therefore I would be very grateful if anyone who has been enquiring about or just waiting to hear about a Dollar pup, would let me know if they are seriously interested, if there is enough interest I will go ahead with the mating. To add an extra twist to this, I am considering using a Champion sired brindle poodle who goes back to silver breeding on his mums side.

I would be very keen to hear peoples opinions on both these topics either as comments on this blog or by a private email.

Thanks in advance.

I am also now expecting Audrey to come into season and I am still planning on putting her to a health tested red boy.


6 comments:

mary e. said...

What a dilemma!
The brindle dog sounds interesting - is he health-tested too? What colour was his sire?
I would love a parti/phantom spoo one day but I think I have enough to cope with at the moment:-))
Dollars last silver litter was a really good one - all the pups have turned out gorgeous like my Rafiki - glad I don't have to make the decision!

SW said...

I am just so thrilled at the thought of either of your girls having pups. As Mary says, Dollar's last litter were so perfect, it is hard to see that they could be bettered....but understand your wish to vary the genes and also maybe have some interestingly marked pups. It is a hard decision...but am sure whatever the outcome, they will be utterly beautiful dogs, and will make a lot of people very happy!

Jane Rowden said...

The brindle dog hasn't been health tested yet as he is a young dog, his dad is Frankie and Audreys dad so apricot and he has now been hip scored along with several of his siblings and offspring.
I have to confess to being quite excited and nervous about this mating, the temperaments of both Dollar and her prospective husband are fantastic.

Pam said...

If it's any help, Sophie was a Christmas present of sorts, even though she was from Dollar's last litter, born in late June :)
We had, of course, been wanting another SP for awhile.

Jane Rowden said...

Thanks Pam
The general feedback has been positive, so far only 1 person has dropped out due to choice of stud dog, so I will be taking a chance and mating Dollar. This will be her last litter for a while as she will be having a break for the next 18 months/2 years.

mary e. said...

That's really exciting - I shall be watching with great interest and have to be very strong to resist the temptation to enlarge the pack further!
Took Frankie on her first overnight trip yesterday (with the rest of the pack) -she was perfect - just got on with things and enjoyed it all:-))