Tuesday 16 October 2012

2 Long hard nights

Dorothy started the first signs of labour at about 9pm on Sunday evening, shivering and generally restless, the 1st stage of labour can last anywhere from a couple of hours to 48hrs, this means that from the time they start labour I am pretty much with them, just in case they need help and to re assure them if they need it. Sunday night was a long one, I stayed up all night to monitor her, but things didn't really change.
Monday was spent in a similar fashion, Dorothy didn't want her breakfast (though a bit of roast chicken later in the day went down well!) and carried on with the shivering and now occasional bouts of panting.

By 10:30pm on Monday night there was no change. I was shattered and decide to set a pen up next to my bed. I set the alarm to go off every 90 mins. At 1:30 am we were still no further forward, but at 2:30 I woke to hear Dorothy scrabbling around and was just in time to see her deliver a healthy black girl. It was only when I went to check this new baby and open the sac that pups are born in, that I realised that this was in fact the 2nd pup and unfortunately the 1st, an apricot girl, was still in the membranes. Despite trying to breath some life into this little pup I was just too late. You can only imagine how rotten I feel. Thank goodness Dorothy has at least one baby to love.

She is proving to be a devoted mum, if a little anxious over her pup. I have got the web cam up and running, but the pup is surrounded by Dorothy so there isn't much to see at the moment, though of course she will be much more visable as she grows and starts to get up and about.

Sybil's 2 babies are thriving, both are beautiful, as I knew they would be :-)



Diva is running the risk of explosion!

No comments: