Tuesday 12 March 2013

Just a little help

Audrey is doing a fantastic job with her babies, attentive without being over fussy and she is feeding them pretty much 24/7, but 11 is a lot of puppies and unfortunately a couple have started to fall behind. A couple of times a day I put the 6 largest pups in a basket (in Mums sight) so that the smaller pups can enjoy a good long suckle without being pushed off, however, despite this, 2 are still not gaining as much as I would like, so today I took the decision to help Audrey by giving them a few bottle feeds a day. They will still be reared by their Mum, and will not be completely hand reared, just a little bit of 'top up'



I am delighted with the colour and pigment on these pups. I had assumed that seeing as both parents are apricot, the pups would also all be apricot, but having spoken to a friend who is extremely knowledgeable about colour/genetics in poodles, the fact that the sires paternal line goes back to red, means that some of these pups could very well be red. I will not know for sure until I start to clip their faces.





I started to let the cats in our lounge yesterday, Audrey coped with this ok and tonight I plan to allow my other dogs back in, I know that this will be a bit stressful for Audrey, but it will be strictly supervised and hopefully everyone will settle fairly quickly.They can be viewed on the webcam from about 8:30am to about 10:30pm, there is a link to the right of this post.

No comments: